Kulfi is a dessert that was bought always from shops. Never realised it can be made at home.Yesterday, for the first time i tried it home and it turned out to be a super hit. Everyone at home , including my mom loved it. Here I am sharing the recipe with you. My kulfi is medium sweet. If u want it sweeter add an extra tbsp of sugar. The recipe gives four pots of the size as shown in picture
Milk full cream. 1/2 lit.
Sugar. 3 tbsp
Cream. 100 ml
Pistachio flakes. 2tsp
Almond. flakes. 2tsp
Cardamom pd. 2 large pinches
Saffron. a few strands
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Take out 2tbsp milk and soak saffron strands in it.
- Simmer rest of the milk on slow heat till reduced to half.
- Remember to stir constantly so that milk doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Every time layer of cream (malai) forms on milk, remove it and keep it in a separate bowl.
- Once the milk reduces to half, remove from fire.
- Add saffron milk and sugar . Stir till sugar dissolves.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Now add cream and mix well. I used Amul. *
- Break the malai that we had kept separately, into small bits and add it to the above mixture.
- Now mix cardamom pd., almond and pistachio flakes .
- Keep it in the freezer to set. Mine took 7-8 hours to set.
- You can freeze it in kulfi moulds or earthen pots like I did. Cover the pots with aluminium foil.
- To unmould dip the bottom of the mould in hot water for a second or two. Now run a sharp knife around the edges of kulfi and over turn the mould on a plate. It will pop out.
- Cut and serve.
* I used only the thick part of Amul cream. To do that ,pour the entire contents of tetra pack(200ml) into a bowl and use the thick part for this recipe. Remaining cream you can store in the fridge in an air tight container and use it later .