A Must try !
Bread making has always intrigued me. Always thought it would be a tough job, especially if you didn't have a bread maker.
Foccaccia , appeared to be an interesting preparation. My tendency to try new and difficult things forced me to try Foccaccia . I read several recipes on the net and also in cookbooks and this is a mish-mash of all the knowledge that I collected about baking a Foccaccia .
It turned out to be an amazing experience. Before it cooled completely , half was gobbled up by my family. You can play with the toppings based on your liking.
Gives one loaf measuring 8 by 12, serves 4 to 5.
|Dry active yeast||2 tsp|
|Olive oil||1 1/2 tbsp|
|extra olive oil for brushing the dough.|
|Garlic.||1 tsp crushed|
|Garlic||5 -6 cloves thinly sliced.|
|olive oil||1 tbsp.|
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let it sit for 10 min. It will froth up.
- Mix flour, thyme oregano and salt in a big bowl.
- Make a hole in the centre of flour and pour yeast mixture and oil into it.
- Knead well till everything comes together. You may have to add a couple of tablespoons of water more depending on your flour' s soaking capacity.
- Next knead the dough on a floured counter for 7-10 min. , depending on your strength.
- The dough by this time would become smooth and pliable.
- Keep it in an oiled bowl, roll it over to smear oil all over. Cover it with cling film and let it rest till doubled. Will take 1 to 2 hours depending on weather.
- Take the dough out on the floured counter and punch it to release all the trapped air.
- Knead it again for a couple of minutes.
- Stretch it a rectangle of 1/4 inch thickness and carefully place it on a well greased baking tray.
- Don't forget to place a greaseproof paper on the baking tray first.
- Cover it with a cling film and let it rest for 30-40 min.
- Meanwhile take a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic chips till golden and crisp. Keep them aside. In the same oil caramelise onions and crushed garlic.
- Now make dimple all over the dough say one inch apart. Brush Olive oil generously over the dough.
- Press olives and crispy garlic in the dimples that you just made on the dough.
- Spread caramelised onion and garlic over the dough and press it lightly.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on it. You can sprinkle coarse salt also if you like.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 20 min or till the crust turns golden on the sides.
It can be served with soup or pasta . First time I served it with Veg Chili Corn Carne.
First time ? Yeah I have already made it twice in 4 days. Second time I served it with pasta. You can also slice it and make a sandwich.