Bananas are really a versatile vegetable/ fruit. Raw banana roast is a crispy dry side dish that can be served with any curry and plain rice. Simple and quick to make.
Raw bananas 3
Salt to taste
Oil 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves 12
Fresh coriander 1 tbsp( chopped).
Coriander seeds 2 tbsp
Chana dal 1 tbsp
Urad dal. 1 tsp
Peppercorn 1/2 tsp
Whole red chilly 3
Anardana ( dry pomegranate seeds ) 1 tsp
- Scrape the banana skin a little to remove fibre.
- Wash and pressure cook in sufficient water for two whistles.
- When cool, peel and cut them into 1" thick quartered cubes.
- Dry roast all the ingredients until golden and fragrant (given under spice powder).
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- Spread the banana cubes in a large flat dish.
- Sprinkle the spice powder and salt . Gently mix well.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Crackle mustard seeds. Add curry leaves.
- Now add the spiced banana cubes and sauté for a couple of minutes so that they become crispy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note : don't throw away the banana leaves. You can make a dry side dish with them . I'll soon post a recipe for the same.