Till a few years back sourcing strawberries was a difficult task so whatever little we could source , we enjoyed them raw. Now with their availability in abundance , I thought of using them in baking.
While googling one day I came across this recipe for blueberry crumb bars and that's when I decided to try it with strawberries as I didn't have blueberries . I have made a few changes in the recipe. I have not used the egg. Replaced margarine with butter , added almond meal to flour and topped it with almond flakes. Last but not the least reduced the quantity proportionately to suit my needs.
The recipe has been adapted from : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blueberry-Crumb-Bars/Detail.aspx
Salt a pinch
Lemon zest of
1/4 + 1/8 tsp
1. Wash and dry strawberries on a clean kitchen towel.
2. Cut them into 4.
3. Sprinkle castor sugar and cornstarch on them and mix lightly.
4. Keep them aside.
5. Mix flour, baking powder and butter using your finger tips, till it looks like coarse bread crumbs
6. Add sugar , salt , lemon zest and almond meal.
7. Mix well, the crumble is now ready.
8. Grease and line a dish measuring ( l,b,h) 9,5,2 inches.
9. Spread half of the crumble mix in the prepared dish.
10. Place strawberries along with their juice over this mix.
11. Cover the strawberries with the remaining crumble mix.
12. Sprinkle almond flakes on top.
13. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 deg. Celsius for 35 to 40 min. Or till top is slightly brown.
14. Let it cool completely. Refrigerate for a few hours . Cut into squares.