Who doesn't like chocolate cake. Everyone has their own favorite recipe. I was on the look out for a super moist , super chocolaty cake recipe. Tried several. Some were good , some not so good and finally I found this simple one pot recipe. The cake was amazingly moist , dark and chocolaty. I have already made it several times.
I picked the recipe from here . I have made couple of subtle changes in the recipe.I have halved the recipe. The original recipe asks for sour cream. I have used yogurt instead.
All purpose flour. 1 cup
Fine granulated sugar 1 cup
Cocoa 1/2 cup
Corn starch. 2 tbsp
Salt. A pinch
Baking Soda. 3/4 tsp
Baking Powder. 1/4+1/8tsp
Oil. 1/2 cup
Yogurt. 1/2 cup
Eggs. 2 no
Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Vanilla extract 1 tsp
Warm water. 50 ml
Choco-chips. 100 gms
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius .
- Grease and line a 7" round or square pan.
- Sift All purpose flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and corn starch in a large bowl. Now add sugar.
- Mix well using a ballon whisk.
- Tip in oil and yogurt. Mix lightly.
- Break in the eggs and mix thoroughly. Don't over mix.
- Now add vanilla extract.
- Add water in two parts and mix . The batter will have a very gooey consistency.
- Fold in the chocochips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Give the pan a little shake.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175 deg Celsius for 35-40 min.
- To test doneness insert a skewer in the centre of the cake. It should come out clean. Even if you find a few crumbs on the skewer , take it out.
- Let it cool in the pan over a wire rack at least for an hour as the sides will be firm but the center will be gooey.
To avoid over baking in this particular recipe I always check the side of the cake first with a skewer. If it comes out clean then check the center If the skewer from the center is almost clean then the cake is done.
If the cake is over baked you will not get that super moist texture.
Baking time can vary in each oven so after 35 min , keep checking every 5 min. till it is done.
The entire process of mixing is done using a ballon whisk. Mix the batter only till everything is well incorporated. Do not over mix it.
If you want you can cover it with chocolate ganache