I just love this tangy and slightly sweet , crunchy preparation. Ideal for breakfast or evening snacking. In most parts of India, it is a preferred food during fasts. If using during fasts replace regular salt with rock salt.
Potato. 1 large very finely cubed
Sabudana( Sago). 300 gms / 1 1/2 cup
Oil. 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Green chilly. 1 no. Finely chopped
Red chilly pd. 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar. 5 tsp
Lemon juice. 4 tsp
Peanuts. 3/4 cup
Salt To taste
Water. 1 1/4 cup / 300ml.
Coriander leaves. For garnish
- Wash sabudana once and then soak it overnight in 300 ml . water.
- Dry roast peanuts. Once they cool down , remove skin and crush them.
- Using a fork , fluff the sabudana.
- Very lightly with a fork mix salt , red chilly pd and sugar in it. Keep it aside.
- Now heat oil in a non stick pan .
- Add cumin seeds. Once they turn golden, add green chilly and potato.
- Cover and cook till potato cubes are done .
- Uncover and cook for a couple of more min till they are crispy.
- Add crushed peanuts. Mix.
- Now add spiced sabudana . Let it be on medium high heat for a couple of minutes till the rawness disappears. Keep stirring all the time.
- Remove from fire. Mix lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve immediately.
- You can roast and crush peanuts in advance. In fact I always have them in my pantry. They easily stay fresh for 2-3 months when stored in an airtight container.
- You can also use boiled and cubed potato. This reduces cooking time.
- If using boiled potato , no need to cover and cook. Simply sauté potatoes till they are crispy.
- Sabudana should be soaked for 6- 8 hours.
- I prefer to soak it overnite as I usually make it for breakfast.