This is a recipe by Chef Kunal Kapoor of Master Chef India (3). He demonstrated it in one of the episodes. The only changes I have made are : I have increased the quantity of potatoes from 1 cup to 2 cups. He used larger of the baby potatoes (12-15) , while I had very small baby potatoes so 12-15 didn't seem enough.
Since I increased the quantity of potatoes I also increase the quantity of mango pulp and spices accordingly.
Raw mango 1 cup ( finely cubed)
Oil 2 tbsp
Red chilly 1 no.
Mustard seeds. 1 tsp
Asafoetida. a pinch
Ginger grated 1 tsp
Green chilly 1 finely chopped
Curry leaves 10-15
Baby potatoes. 2 cups
Turmeric pd 1/2 tsp
Coriander pd 1 tbsp
Red chilly pd 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper pd a pinch
Roasted cumin pd. 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Black salt a big pinch
Mango purée. 1/2 cup
Water 4 tbsp+ 1/4 cup
Chopped coriander. 1 tbsp
- Wash and boil baby potatoes. Peel and toss them with 1/2 a tsp of salt while they are still warm.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Crackle mustard seeds, add asafoetida , whole red chilly, curry leaves, green chilly and raw mango .
- Mix well and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add red chilly pd, turmeric pd, coriander pd, pepper pd and ginger.
- Add 4 tbsp of water , mix and cook for a minute to let the flavours blend properly.
- Now add salt, roasted cumin pd, black salt, mango pulp and 1/4 cup water . Cook till it thickens .
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- The sauce has to be thick to be able to coat the potatoes.
- Serve hot with rice or an Indian bread of your choice.
Note : Pre- requisites for the dish -- Raw mango should be really sour and mango pulp should be sweet.
You can also use frozen pulp.