It will not be wrong to say that till a month back I had not even heard the name of this dish. This was posted in one of the groups that I follow. Everything posted along with the rice was non- veg, so I was not sure whether the rice was veg or non - veg. Once I got the confirmation that the rice was veg, I requested the lady for the recipe. And the lady in question Mubeen Sultana , was Gracious enough to share her recipe.
With some trepidation I tried out the recipe as there weren't many ingredients in it. But once I tasted it , I was surprised. Such lovely flavours. Very tasty rice. Everyone loved it. I have already made it twice.
Thank you Mubeen Sultana.
Rice. 2 cups
Extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp
Ghee/ clarified butter 1 tbsp
Onion. 2 med. finely sliced
Onion. 2 med coarsely sliced
Tomatoes. 2 med . thickly sliced ( seeds&pulp removed)
Cashew nuts. 1/3cup
Garlic paste. 1/ 2 tbsp
Ginger paste. 1/2 tbsp
Bay leaf 2
Chopped cilantro. 1 tbsp
Chopped mint 1 tbsp
Green chilly. 1 chopped
Salt. To taste
Water. 3 1/2 cups
Oil For frying
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Deep fry cashew nuts until golden and crisp. Keep on a kitchen towel to drain out excess oil.
- In the same oil deep fry coarsely sliced onions till dark brown and crispy.
- Keep them aside on a kitchen towel to drain off excess oil.
- In a large and deep non stick pan or wok heat ghee and extra virgin olive oil.
- Crackle black cumin, add cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Now tip in finely sliced onions and fry till pink and translucent .
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add green chilly and tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes turn tender.
- Now add rice , water, salt , cilantro and mint. Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat till all the water is absorbed and rice is done.
- Garnish with fried onions and cashew nuts.
- Serve hot with a gravy of your choice.