Bitter gourd or Karela is not everyone's favourite. But everyone in my family just loves them. I remember whenever I made fried and crispy bitter gourd my son ( who was very small then) would always complain why I had made such less quantity.
I generally make stuffed bitter gourd using onion as the base. Few years back my sister made these when I was visiting her. Since then I am hooked on to this recipe. The only prerequisite is raw mango. I freeze grated raw mango to use when not in season for various dishes and sauces.
Bitter gourd 350gms
Mustard oil 2tbsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Vinegar. 1 tbsp
Boiled potato. 1 cup (grated)
Red chilly pd. 1 tsp
Grated raw mango. 1 tbsp
Fennel pd 2 tsp
Coriander pd. 1 tsp
Garam masala 1/4tsp
Salt. To taste
Sugar 2 tsp
ginger paste 1 tsp
- Wash and peel bitter gourd.
- Slit them open. If they are too long cut them into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Rub salt on them.
- Boil water in a pan. Add 1 tbsp of vinegar to it. Boil bitter gourd in this water till tender.
- Drain in a colander. Let them cool.
- Lightly squeeze them to remove excess water.
- Check the seeds, if they are too hard remove them.
- Mix all the ingredients under filling.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Fill this stuffing in bitter gourd.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Crackle mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
- Now carefully place the stuffed bitter gourd in the pan in a single layer.
- Cook on medium to high till they are brown on all sides.
- Turn them carefully in between so that they brown uniformly on all sides.
- Serve hot with rice and curry or an Indian bread of your choice.