Trying out fennel salad had been on my mind for a long time, but getting fennel bulbs in Bangalore was not that easy. Once I did see one lonely piece languishing in a high end store, but it's state stopped me from buying it.
Yesterday I got really fresh fennel at a hyper mart and I wasted no time in picking it up.
Here is my first try at Fennel Salad.
Ingredients serves 4:
Fennel 1 med. sized bulb
Pomegranate. 3 tbsp for garnishing
Lemon juice. 1 tbsp
Salt. 1/2 tsp or to taste
Extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp
Ground pepper 1/2 tsp
Toasted walnuts 2 tbsp
Pomegranate. 3 tbsp
Chopped mint. 2 tbsp
- Using a large grater blade , grate fennel, apple, pear and onion.
- Add a tsp of lemon juice immediately to avoid oxidation. Mix lightly, cover with a cling film and refrigerate till serving time.
- Mix vigorously all ingredients mentioned under dressing.
- Pour the dressing over salad. Mix lightly.
- Top with toasted pine nuts/ walnuts, pomegranate seeds and mint.
- Serve immediately.
Note: you can adjust the quantity of lemon juice depending on your taste.