Ingredients: gives 12
Poha 250 gms
Water 160 ml.
Salt 1 1/2 tsp
Ground Pepper 1 tsp
Oil. For frying
Boiled potatoes 2 med.
Frozen peas 1 cup ( measure before thawing)
Onion. 1/4 cup chopped finely
Oil 2 tsp
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Green chilly 1 tsp finely chopped
Ginger paste 1/ 2 tsp
Red chilly pd 1/2 tsp
Turmeric pd 1/2 tsp
Raw mango pd 1/2tsp
Garam masala 1/4 tsp
Salt. To taste
Chopped coriander 1 tbsp
- Wash Poha couple of times and soak it in 160 ml water for one hour.
- Finely chop boiled potatoes.
- To prepare the stuffing heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin and green chilly.
- When cumin turns brown, tip in onions.
- Sauté till they turn soft and pink.
- Meanwhile thaw frozen peas.
- Tip them into the pan. Cook till they are done.
- Add red chilly pd, turmeric pd, raw mango pd, garam masala, salt, ginger paste.
- Mix well add potatoes. Mix well and cook for two minutes so that all the flavours blend well.
- Remove from fire . Mix in chopped coriander . Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Divide the filling into 12 equal portions.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Mash the poha nicely.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Divide into 12 equal portions.
- Take one portion at a time.
- Add 1 tsp of water to it.
- Mix properly and flatten it in your palm.
- Keep one portion of the filling on it.
- Carefully pick up the sides and seal to form a ball.
- Wet your hands and smoothen the ball.
- You might find the covering breaking , don't worry , seal it using wet hands.
- Repeat the process with the remaining portions.
- Deep fry in a hot oil till lightly golden, on medium heat.
- Remove on kitchen towel to drain off excess oil.
- Fry two at a time .
- When you add the balls to the oil it must be really hot, after that turn the heat to medium.
- Cut each into two using a serrated knife.
- Use see- saw motion to cut them.
- Serve with any sauce of your choice.