Ingredients: Serves 4
Rice 2 cups
Oil. 2 tbsp
Onions. 2 small ( Coarsely sliced)
Homemade Tomato purée 2 cups*
Bay leaves. 2 no.
Cloves. 4 no.
Cinnamon. 1 piece
Mustard seeds. 1 tsp
Cumin seeds. 1 tsp
Green chilly. 1 no. Finely chopped
Curry leaves. 12
Garlic crushed. 1 tsp heaped
Ginger paste. 1 tsp heaped
Red chilly pd. 1. 1/2 tsp
Salt To taste
Coconut milk powder. 1/2 cup
Water. 4 cups
Ghee / clarified butter 4 -6 tsp
Coriander leaves. For garnish
- Wash and soak rice for 30 min.
- Dissolve coconut milk pd in 1 cup warm water
- In a big non stick pan heat oil. Crackle mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- Now add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves. Fry for half a minute .
- Add curry leaves, green chilly and garlic .
- Stir and tip in onions. Fry till soft and golden.
- Add tomato purée , ginger paste and red chilly pd.
- Cook till it becomes thick and oil separates.
- Strain the rice and tip into the pan. Add coconut milk and 3 cups of water and salt.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat till rice is done. By then all the water will also be absorbed.
- Remove from fire.
- Garnish with chopped coriander .
- Pour hot ghee / clarified butter either on the whole rice or a tsp each on individual plates.
- Serve hot with pappadam( fried papad) and curd.
- Instead of coconut milk pd you can also use coconut milk available in tetra packs. In that case use 2 tetra packs of 200 ml each, add enough water to it to make 4 cups of liquid and use this instead of four cups of water mentioned in the recipe.
- I have used extra virgin olive oil but you can use any vegetable oil.
- * To make tomato purée , blanch tomatoes in boiling water. Remove skin and purée in a liquidizer.