Carissa Carandas, that's what Karonda is called in English. A berry rich in iron and contains a fair amount of vit C also( source Wikipedia). This is a preparation which is spicy, sweet and tangy ( as the name suggests) all in one. Pairs very well with parathas - plain as well stuffed, and also with dal rice.
It's not so easily available , so this time when I was visiting my mom in the month of Aug., they were in season. My mom made it for us. I got to eat it after many years . I am sharing her recipe.
Karonde 250 gms
Green chilly large ( chopped coarsely) 3
oil 1 1/2 tsp
fennel seeds ( saunf) 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds ( methi) 1/4 tsp
red chilly pd 1/4 tsp
turmeric pd 1/4 tsp
coriander pd 1/2 tsp
salt 1tsp or to taste
sugar 5 tbsp
water 1/4 cup
- Wash Karonde . Cut them into two lengthwise. Remove the seed.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Once they brown slightly, add green chillies.
- Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add red chilly pd, turmeric pd. , coriander pd. and salt.
- Tip in the Karonde and water. Give it a stir.
- Cover and cook on low till Karonde are done. Will take a few minutes.
- Now add sugar.
- Once sugar melts, taste and adjust salt and sugar as per your liking.
- Remove from fire.
- Once completely cool, transfer into an air tight container.
- Keep referigerated.