Kofta Curry is usually quite rich. Here is a low fat version. Instead of frying the koftas I have simply pan fried them using just a tbsp of oil. Trust me the koftas tasted as good as the fried ones. Even in the gravy I have used Makhana ( Lotus Seeds) Powder instead of Cashewnuts.
You can grind makhanas to get Makhana powder. Whenever I buy makhanas, I sort out the small , hard ones. Grind them and refrigerate the powder for future use.
For Kofta : gives 10
Raw banana boiled 1
Medium potatoes boiled 2
Green chilli finely chopped 1/2
Red chilli powder. 1/2tsp
Coriander chopped 1 tbsp
Raw mango powder. 1/4 tsp
Salt or to taste 3/4 tsp
Bread crumbs. 4 tbsp.
Garam masala A large pinch.
oil (for pan frying) 1 tbsp.
Oil 1 tbsp
Asafoetida A pinch
Green chilli, finely chopped 1/2.
Cumin 1/2 tsp
Garlic crushed 1/2 tsp.
Onion,finely chopped 1/2 cup
Tomato purée, home made 1 cup.
Ginger paste. 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder. 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp.
Coriander powder 1 tsp.
Water 1/2 cup
Milk 1/2 cup
Salt or to taste 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Makhana Powder 1 tbsp.
Garam masala. A large pinch
For Kofta :
- Peel and grate boiled raw banana and potatoes .
- Add all other ingredients mentioned under kofta except oil. Mix well
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- Divide into 10 equal portions.
- Wet your hands and shape them into balls.
- Press with your fingers to flatten them slightly .
- Pan fry them on a heavy bottom non stick pan, until golden on both sides.
- Keep them on a kitchen towel to remove excess oil .
- Heat oil in a pan .Add asafoetida and cumin .
- Once cumin becomes brown add green chilli garlic and onions
- Sauté onions until light golden and soft . Sprinkle some water if needed
- Tip in tomato purée and ginger paste . Mix well , cover and cook till oil separates.
- Mid way add red chilli pd,turmeric pd and coriander powder .
- Once oil separates add Makhana pd, salt and sugar.
- Add water and milk .Bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire. Add garam masala.
- Taste and adjust salt and sugar.
To serve :
- Place the koftas in a shallow glass dish.
- Micro on high for 1 minute.
- Pour boiling hot gravy over the koftas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander .
- Serve immediately with an Indian bread of your choice.