This dish is a unique medley of Rajma , paneer, and vegetables. I have used beans and carrot , you can also add cauliflower . When I got my packet of Chettinad mix I didn't know what to make . I didn't want to make a typical mix veg. coz honestly I am not very fond of it. So I just picked up whatever was available at home and tried my luck. I have to say it turned out to be a great dish. It is a wonderful option for vegetarians like me .
Ingredients : serves 5-6
Oil1 1 + 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves 10-12
Onion 1 large finely sliced
Onion 1/2 cup chopped
Tomato purée 1 1/2 cup (homemade)
Garlic crushed 1/2 tbsp + 1/4 tsp
Ginger paste 1/2 tbsp + 1/4 tsp
Carrot, beans 1 cup ( chopped into cubes)
Boiled kidney beans 1 1/2 cup
Paneer 100 gms ( cottage cheese)
Turmeric pd 1/2 tsp
Water 2 1/2 cups
Chettinad spice mix 2 1/2tbsp + 1/2 tsp
Coconut paste 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Lemon juice 1/2 tsp
Whole red chilly(dry) 2
- Cut paneer into 1 " cubes and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes to soften it.
- Drain out the water completely and marinade it for 10 minutes in 1/2 tsp Chettinad spice mix, 1/4 tsp ginger paste , 1/2 tsp crushed garlic , a pinch of salt and lemon juice.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan , sauté paneer pieces till golden on all sides.
- Remove on a kitchen towel to drain off excess oil.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil.
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add sliced onion. Sauté.
- Once onions start softening add chopped onions and garlic.
- Sauté on low heat, stirring, in between crushing with the tip of wooden spatula so that onions are slightly mashed.
- Cook till they turn soft and pink.
- Tip in tomato purée and ginger paste.
- Cook covered on low to medium heat till oil separates.
- Tip in salt and turmeric pd, chopped vegetables, kidney beans and 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook till vegetables are done.
- Now add in paneer and Chettinad spice mix.
- Check and add more water if needed.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Tip in coconut paste.
- Bring it to a boil stirring all the time.
- Remove from fire.
- Taste and adjust salt.
- Heat oil in a small pan, fry whole( dry ) red chillies .
- Pour it over the ready dish.
- Garnish with chopped coriander .
- Serve hot with plain rice or an Indian bread of your choice.
Note: while boiling Rajma care should be taken that it is just ready and not too soft.
adjust the quantity of water as per your preference. The gravy should be thick.
In individual bowls you can top the gravy with a boiled egg if you like.
I do it for my son and husband and they love it.