An amazing dish from the Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh. It is tangy, spicy and sweet .A wonderful snack . Use only Indian corn for this dish. While selecting corn , take care to pick only that are neither too hard nor too tender. You can either grate them or scrape them off the cob with the knife and then coarsely grind them.
I have mentioned 1/2 a cup of water in the ingredients. Start with a 1/4 cup, coz the quantity of water depends on the quality of corn. The water is only needed to cook the corn. Ultimately the Kees has to be stir fried till all water dries up.
Corn ( grated ) 3 cups.
Asafoetida A pinch.
Green chilli ( finely chopped ) 2.
Cumin 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp.
Salt 1.5 tsp.( or to taste)
Water 1/2 cup.
Sugar 5 tsp.
Lemon juice 2-3 tsp.
Coriander (chopped) 4tbsp
Fresh coconut ( grated ) 4tbsp.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom non stick pan
- Add asafoetida , Crackle mustard seeds then add cumin and green chillies.
- Once cumin turns brown add the grated corn , 1/4 cup water , red chilli powder ,salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir nicely ,cover and cook on low flame for two minutes .
- Now stir again on high flame for a minute .
- Repeat step 4&5 a couple of times .
- Check the corn , it should be cooked through, if not sprinkle some water mix well and cover and cook until done.
- By this time the corn should be absolutely dry, if not stir on high flame till its dry
- Add sugar and lemon juice mix well , cover and keep it off flame for five minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and fresh grated coconut .
- Serve immediately.
Note : the leftover can be used to make stuff Paratha . That tastes great too.