Over the years Pasta has gained tremendous popularity in India. Kids & adults both love it. Here is my version of the most versatile dish.
Ingredients : for the sauce
Tomatoes 1/2 kg
Olive oil 1 tbsp.
Onion ( finely chopped) 1/2 cup.
Garlic crushed 1 tbsp.
Dry basil 1 tbsp.
Chilli flakes 1 tsp.
Peppercorns ( crushed) 1/4 tsp.
Salt 1 tsp .
ketchup 2 tbsp.
Worcestershire sauce. 1 tbsp.
Macroni (1.5cup) 150 gms
Extra virgin Olive oil 2 tbsp
Onion ( sliced) 1 large
garlic ( crushed) 1 tbsp.
Red bell pepper cubed 1/2
Yellow bell pepper cubed 1/2.
Carrot 1 thinly sliced
Cheddar cheese ( grated) 1/2 cup.
Method For Sauce:
- Blanch the tomatoes .
- Peel their skin and chop them coarsely.
- Purée half of them .
- Heat oil in a deep heavy bottom pan .
- Add garlic and onion .
- Sauté onion on low heat till golden pink .
- Tip in chopped tomatoes ,tomato purée , basil , salt and Worcestershire sauce
- Cook uncovered on low for ten minutes .
- Add tomato ketchup , mix well and cook for another 7-10 minutes .
- Remove from fire .
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add onion and garlic . Sauté for a minute.
- Tip in carrot and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Now add bell peppers and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Simultaneously boil Macroni in a large pan of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Keep a cup of water aside and drain off excess water.
- Add the Macroni to the sautéed veggies.
- Give it a good mix.
- Now pour the sauce , sprinkle the cheese.
- Give it a good mix. If it looks dry add some of the reserved pasta water.
- Taste the seasoning .
- Serve immediately with a bread of your choice.